PRESS CONFERENCE ON THE NEW QR CODE: UPDATE
The Goverment addressed queries on the QR Code
In the press conference of October 26th, representatives of the Costa Rican Government answered many of the questions that have arisen from the new QR, that will start being implemented on a transitional period in December and become official in January 2022. Here we explain some updates that were made:
Updated indications on obtaining the QR code:
- If you were vaccinated in the country with a Costa Rican cédula, the QR code can be obtained after 8 business days from the last dose accessing this website: https://usuarios.ministeriodesalud.go.cr
- The first option is to enter the PIN code you received in your email. If it was not sent to you, you can select the “lost PIN” tab.
- The second option is to enter your vaccination information, this meaning you have to enter your vaccination dates and they will have to match the information from the Digital Platform of the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (the so called “EDUS”).
- If you were vaccinated in the country with a Costa Rican ID for Foreigners (the so called “DIMEX”) or a foreign Passport, you will have to first i. complete the form available at this link and then ii. send an email to email@example.com attaching the following:
- Copy of the ID
- Vaccine Card
- If you were vaccinated outside of Costa Rica, you will have to first i. complete the form available at this link and then ii. send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org attaching the following:
- *Note: During the Press Conference and in the following Press Release of Presidential House it was made no reference to the need of attaching also the Copy of the Health Pass (“Pase de Salud”) that was last completed when the person entered the country after completing the vaccination process abroad. Our understanding is that this requirement is no longer required, but if you have it you may want to attach it just in case.
How can the mandatory places check the QR code:
The Government is working on an app that does not require Internet Connection, in order to check these QR codes for the mandatory places.
If you do not have access to internet in order to obtain the QR code:
- The Government is working on the option of having the person go to a local office from many institutions, but nothing official has been confirmed yet. Sign up here to our newsletter so we can keep you posted.
Tourists who enter Costa Rica:
- The Government is working on updating the Health Pass (“Pase de Salud”) for it to include the QR code, needed to enter the list of places marked as nonessential. This way, tourists will only have to fill out one form when coming into the country. To clarify, this update in the Health Pass will only be available for tourists who have a complete Vaccination Scheme.
- Tourists who do not have a complete Vaccination Scheme, will still have to purchase Travel Health Insurance and separately fulfill the Health Pass. Also, they will not be able to enter the list of places marked as nonessential (you can find the list in our previous article at this link).
Questions that were asked during the press conference:
- Q: What happens if I have a special medical condition for which I cannot be vaccinated?
- R: The government said that if you have a medical exemption, this will be a “Special Case”. We are assuming that this means that the person will be able to enter every place, even the one that require the Mandatory QR code, but we will need more information on this statement, and how they will ask for you to prove it. We will publish more information as soon as it will be released.
- Q: Do I need the QR code to rent an Airbnb?
- R: The answer to this question was not clear, so we will have to get back to you on this question, as we know it is of interest for many tourists who enter Costa Rica.
If you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us at: email@example.com
Remember to sign up to our newsletter to receive our automatic updates (see form below in this page).