DIGITAL NOMAD VISA APPROVED IN SECOND (AND FINAL) DEBATE!
Good news for Digital Nomads wishing to relocate in Costa Rica. As of July 13th, the Digital Nomads Bill of Law was voted in Second Debate at the Legislative Assembly, with a positive outcome of it being approved. The soon to be law will have to first be signed by the President of Costa Rica, and then it shall be published in “La Gaceta” to make the law official and effective from its publication.
In any case, it will still be necessary to wait a bit longer to see the new category implemented, because we must also wait for the ruling of Immigration Authorities, which shall be issued within 60 days. Nonetheless, it is finally time to start preparing the application, so do not hesitate to reach out to us to obtain our help!
As a reminder, the law will grant a special permit of one year long to tourists who follow under the new category of Estancia Visa as Remote Worker or Provider of Remote Services.. Here a recap of the restrictions and conditions for this type of visa:
- Who will be eligible under the new category: A foreign person who provides remunerated services remotely, subordinate or not, using computer, telecommunications or similar means, in favor of a foreign natural or legal person (located abroad), for which he/she receives a payment or remuneration from abroad (“Digital Nomad”.)
- Family members: The new category can also be requested for spouses or common-law partners, children under the age of twenty-five or who have a disability, as well as older adults who live with the Digital Nomad.
- Threshold / Required Income: To be eligible as Digital Nomad, the person shall provide proof that he/she has been receiving, in the last twelve months, a stable monthly salary, fixed income, or an average monthly income, for an amount equal to or greater than three thousand dollars (US$3,000) legal currency of the United States of America or its equivalent. If the applicant chooses to request the benefits also for his/her family group, the aforementioned amount of income to be demonstrated may be validly integrated with the income of the spouse or any of the other members and must in that case, reach the threshold per month of four thousand dollars (US$4,000) legal currency of the United States of America. In either case, it must be income that can continue to be received even if the person is not in their country of origin.
- How to prove the required income: The income may demonstrated by filing bank statements or through other means of proof yet to be indicated in the regulation to be issued by Immigration Authorities once the law passes.
- Private Insurance Coverage: One of the requirements will be obtaining a private insurance for medical services that covers the applicant for the entire duration of his/her stay in the country. Likewise, all members of the family group must be covered if they choose to request their inclusion as beneficiaries.
- No CAJA obligations: The Bill does not foresee any obligation for the Digital Nomad and his/her family to register before the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (the so called “Caja”) and pay the social charges or contributions related to any Costa Rican social security scheme.
- Digital Platform and Fast Resolution Process before Immigration Authorities: Immigration Authorities shall implement a digital platform for Digital Nomad Visa Application and will have 15 calendar days to review the case and notify the final resolution. Within five (5) days from the application, they shall verify the requirements and, shall clarifications or additional documents be necessary, request them giving the applicant eight (8) days to complete the case file. This preliminary resolution will suspend the final resolution term, which will continue to run after the above-mentioned eight days term expires.
- Tax Benefits: Total exemption on income tax and tax on remittances abroad; Exemption from the payment of taxes on the import of equipment, instruments, tools or computer, telecommunications or similar means, necessary to carry out the tasks or the provision of the services of the Digital Nomad.
- Driving privileges: The foreign driver’s license of the beneficiary will be valid for the purposes of driving in Costa Rica for the entire length of the condition.
- Bank Account Opening: The beneficiaries may open savings accounts in the banks of the Costa Rican banking system.
- Length: The immigration benefit will be granted for one year, extendable for a period of one additional year. All the above-mentioned benefits and privileges shall have the same length.
- 180 days of minimum stay in Costa Rica to renew the condition: People with the status of beneficiaries under this category may renew it for an additional year upon the condition of having stayed in Costa Rica for at least 180 days during the first year.
Reach out to us to learn more on the new regulations and book your appointment to start the process: firstname.lastname@example.org
And please remember to sign up to our newsletter to receive our automatic updates (see form below in this page).